God has blessed me much more than I could ever deserve. I hope to live my life in complete praise to Him--the One who has given me everything.

Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Confession...


I know I will take some heat for this blog (mostly from my brother), but I must confess...I watch Martha. I began watching her new show when it came out. Although I have a hard time believing all of these ideas are her originals, the ideas are still good ones. It is addicting. I don't tape her or anything...I'm not that much of a fan, but I do love to watch when I'm home. I guess some of the appeal is also that she has guests that I enjoy seeing as well. So, there it is.

It has taken me several years to want to become a...well, I can't find the right word. I want to be a wife that likes to cook, clean, and take care of the house. Now, I realize there are few people who like it (yes, Crysty, you are one of the few) ;). But I would like to take some pride in doing it. Before, I didn't really care who did it or how it got done as long as it was done well. That was ok to some degree because Ryan was always home hours before I was & had plenty of time to help. And, to give him credit he doesn't mind doing a lot of it. He's GREAT at helping around the house!! Now, he is taking classes that are consuming his time. So, I need to step it up. Truthfully, I want to step it up. My downfall is that I am tired when I get home from work & typically don't want to start in on house work. So, I don't. (Man, I am confessing quite a lot today! That's ok. It is all true and you are all friends.) If any of you have any ideas on how I can kickstart myself into getting things done, I would appreciate it. I know it will mostly have to start in on it before I sit down when I get home in the afternoons! I will. I will start that today!

So, bringing it back to Martha, you can see why I have been a little more interested in watching her shows. It is also that I am interested in what she is offering...easier ways, better ways, and nicer ways to do things. I never thought I would say this, but "Thanks Martha" or whoever gives her the ideas! ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lesli,
Perhaps you could pick one thing that you like the most (or hate the least) and do that one first. Then it will get you in the mood. Laundry is my favorite. And I like to cook too. The best part about cooking is learning new recipes. If you want me to give you all the easy recipes I have, you're welcome to them. That is, if you ever cough up the lasagna recipe. ha ha!
Love,
Tricia

Lesli said...

Tricia,

I really did email it to you. Did you honestly not get the email?! If not, I will just print it out and give it to you, or I can email it to Scott's email if you'd like. Just let me know.

I'd love some of your recipes. They don't have to be as much easy as quick. By the time I get home from work, I don't want it to be an hour or hour and a half until dinner.

Thanks!!

Lesli

summer said...

its ok. you don't have to be afraid to admit your love for martha. i love her too. well i don't watch her show. i did when it first came on, but i don't have that much time to watch it and days of our lives!!!!! hehehehehe. another confession since we are all confessing!!! hehehe.

i have found that it doesn't matter how hard i try keeping up house work, i don't maintain a clean house until i have taken however long it takes to get it spotless from top to bottom. then that's all the motivation i need to keep it looking that way. i would rather do alittel throughout the day every day then let it get out of control again. and it seems less overwhelming at that point and i can do it.

if you are wanting help getting started with the big clean up that is cleaning form top to bottom i would recommend doing that on a saturday morning or monday afternoon when you don't have anything ese you have to do. get up, get a shower (even though you will want onother one when you are done!) that gets you up awake and ready for the day! turn on your favorite music. send your husband out the door unless he is committed to helping and keeping up the momentum! then i start at one end of the house (usually opposite the kitchen) and work my way methodiaclly around the house. don't leave a room until it is clean form top to bottom (windexed, dusted, vacuumed, and straightened/organized). to keep from going back and forth between rooms to put things in their proper place i get a laundry basket or box and a trash bag and take it with me to each room. i put things that need to be put away in another room in the basket and all trash in the trash bag. put all "to be put away" items at the very end. take traxh out at the very end and i leave the kitchen till the last because i am constantly in and out of there through out the day getting lunch, drinks, buckets of water and cleaning supplies.

to keep the paper clutter to a minimum, i open all my mail when bring in the door. i immediately throw away all unnecessary paper and shred or tear into tiny pieces all credit card apps. i then have a drawer or basket or something that all "to be dealt with" mail goes. every other paper that must be kept, i file away immediately.

i don't mean to sound like a pro at this. but i've read a lot on this and this is what seems to work for me. it may not work for you. also realize that cleaning isn't everyone's favorite thing and you don;t have to LOVE cleaning to take pride in your accomplishments. you house always looks great when i see it and i have been there when you didn;thave too much time to clean ahead of time. i have a website for you to look at. i love this site, but you may hate it. this is where i have adopted most of my hapbits from. hope this helps.

and for esay suppers, i would use my crockpot for everything i could. like using a whole fryer chicken, cover it with lowry's season salt or what ever your favorite seasoning is and put it in the crock pot on low for 8 hours or so. it tastes just like rotisserie chicken. also, take a chuck roast put it in a crock pot with a can of beefy mushroom soup. cook on low for 8 hours or so and ad a salad and maccaroni or something. to make it italan beef sandwiches (like you had at my house that one time, just add a jar of peperocinis juice and all in the crock pot or to leftovers. serve on hoagie rolls and comver with cheese! great and no prep tiem hardly when you get home.

sorry this is a really long response. i hope i don't sound like a kjnow it all or anything. just responding to your quest for ideas. i know how it feels to need fresh ideas.
love you!!!
summer

summer said...

the web site is flylady.com, sorry i forgot to include that earlier!
summer

janjanmom said...

I too love to watch Martha. It is so much nicer to watch her than actually do your housework!!