Yesterday I got home from the scrapbooking retreat at 1:20 or so. It was pouring! Texas roads are just not capable of handling a lot of rain, so many roads were flooding & fast. I got back just in time, but Angelique (who drove & dropped Summer & I off at church) still had to drive home. Ryan and I loaded everything in my apartment & headed back to the building to see if she would be able to go home or if she was planning on waiting the storms out. I figured our apartment would be much more fun than sitting at the church waiting on the storm to pass. Anyway, when we got there Jim, our campus minister, told us that the basement had been flooding. He thought it was undercontrol, but a few seconds later water started coming in the windows that lead out to the draining system in the Kimberlins' office. Ryan and I quickly started trying to get their books off of the bookshelves and trying to find something to catch the water. Not long later we noticed at the other end of the basement was flooding. It was coming in the door & out of the maintenance room (where the sunk pump is). There was no hope of stopping it. Our only hope was to get everything off of the floors in the whole basement. While we were doing that, the pressure from the water against the window in the Kimberlins' office broke one of the bottom windows. Wow! Water really started rushing in then!! At one time, there was 3-4 inches of water on every space of our basement!! We worked from 1:30-4 trying to do as much as we could. By 4 we realized there was nothing more we could do. So, Ryan and I headed to lunch! That was definitely a late lunch!
Today they have been working on pumping out the water & possibly tearing up the carpet. It is a mess!! Tomorrow we will either be in a basement with concrete floors or have a temporary office moved upstairs for some of us. We'll see what happens!
I will post a few pictures from yesterday that Ryan took. The level of the water doesn't look near as bad as it actually was. I guess it is because you can see the carpet better than the water. You'll also notice in places where the carpet is floating!!
1 comment:
Oh my! I'm so sorry to hear that the church flooded!! That will not be fun to deal with!
Post a Comment