I have heard people say that we shouldn’t pick churches by what we like or don’t like. We don’t like the singing, so we keep “shopping”. We don’t like the sermons, so we keep “shopping”. I guess there is some truth in that, but is it all truth?
As you all know, Ryan and I moved to E-town from Dallas about a month ago. We have only had a couple of weeks to “shop” for churches since we have been here because we have been in Paducah for two of the weekends. I know that we will find a place, but will we find one we like? Is it wrong to hope that we will “like” the place we go? I’m not sure.
I do miss PRCC. Although PRCC had it’s faults, as all churches do, .it did feel like home. On most Sundays (when I wasn’t stressing about the power-point being correct), I could worship! Maybe it was the songs, sermon, or everything together. I don’t know. But while I was there, I could pour my heart out to God. Even though there were hundreds of people around me, there were times when I felt like it was just me and God. I sang directly to him.
Whether or not “shopping” for likes or dislikes is right or wrong, I am looking for a place to worship. I pray that E-town or the surrounding area has a church that knows how to worship God & not be petty in their traditions for traditions sake. Am I saying traditions are wrong? NO! Matter of fact, I tend to like most of the CoC’s traditions. However, if they are traditions for the sake of being traditions & do not allow me to worship, I would rather keep moving.
So, to me I’m not sure it is wrong to “shop”. When people shop for churches, aren’t they really shopping for a place to connect with God? Maybe others aren’t, but I am.
1 comment:
Well, I know what you mean. We just went through the same thing with our move. I don't know for sure, but I think maybe "shopping around" is fine when you've just moved and are looking for a place to worship. But maybe it isn't the same if are the type of person who leaves and shops again everytime something isn't just how they would do it. We will be praying that you guys will find the right place. We love Southside. At first we didn't think it was for us, because it was a little more "old school," than we were used to. But now we are seeing more and more everyday how much the people there love God and are actively trying to make a difference in the community and it is wonderful! We can see already why God led us there. I pray he blesses you with that same "a ha!" experience. Love, Tricia
Post a Comment