God has blessed me much more than I could ever deserve. I hope to live my life in complete praise to Him--the One who has given me everything.

Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

It has happened...

All of my life, I have dreaded the day that my brother would be engaged. I know that may sound funny, but I have. My fear wasn't him growing up or being replaced as a mom would feel. It was more of whom he would pick than the actual engagement. Nathan and I have always had a decently close relationship. Of course, we've had our moments as any siblings would. For the most part though, we genuinely like to be around each other. So, my fear was that I would not get along with "her" whoever the "her" turned out to be.

That all brings us to Saturday night. I knew when he was walking out the door to pick up his girlfriend for their date, he would return through the same door as an engaged man. With all of the years of dread I had running through my veins gone & excitement overwhelming me, I stayed up to hear "the story".

His way of proposing to some could be seen as mean (See Steph's blog for the details of the night.), I saw it as sweet. She knew he was going to propose eventually (we were already bridesmaid dress shopping). He wanted more than anything to give her the surprise that many women get. He didn't just want to pop the question in an obvious way. He wanted to give her "that" moment. I thought it was sweet that he cared so much about how she would feel in the moment that he proposed. "The story" went as he had hoped and planned. It was precious seeing the excitement come out of him as he told my mom & me. He was bubbly, and I was relieved.

Kacey is a great girl! My fear has always been that I would not get along with the love of his life. My dream has always been that our families can be close & our children (no rush kids!) will know each other. I am thrilled that he picked a gal that I can call my sister & am happy to teach my daughter to call her aunt. She makes my brother happy & she's a girl that I can easily just hang out with. That's all I could ever hope for.

So, you two: CONGRATUALTIONS! I hope the transition from dating, to engaged, to married is an easy & fun one for you! I pray that God will bless you with years of happiness & that you will grow to be one in mind, body, & spirit. I couldn't be happier & can't wait to officially call Kacey "sister". Love you both!

4 comments:

Sandy said...

I see what you're saying, but I still think he's lucky she didn't deck him by the time it was all over... of course, it's hard to want to deck someone who is professing undying love and offering you a princess cut sapphire ring :-)

Stephanie said...

Lesli, what a sweet blog. I feel the same way. We have prayed about "whoever he might be" since before Kacey was born. I'm so glad they chose each other - we feel blessed!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! That was the sweetest thing ever Lesli! I'm SO glad we're gonna be sisters and I can't imagine a better family to become a part of.

In echo to Sandy's comment, it was almost mean, but I'm with Lesli...I loved it. He had to surprise me, and he definitely did! And foreal...prettiest ring ever. Props babe.

Now I just have to teach Sydney how to say "Ka ka"!!!

Nathan Anderson said...

So, I definitely was tearing up reading this. Then I read Stephanie's comments, slightly more teary. Then Kacey's comments above and lost it... Oh well.

It meant SO much to me that you and mom stayed up to hear "the story." I'm honestly surprised it went as planned...

You have always been VERY picky with the girls I date, so it means a lot to me that you and Kacey get along so well. Kevin should learn that sisters being picky over what girls are in our lives is a GOOD thing. It took me way too long to realize that! I am blessed to have such wonderful women in my life!

Love ya!