Last night a storm moved through our area that was intense! Normally, I wake up & am quite happy with the thunder & rain. To me, it is very calming. I wake up, smile, and go right back to sleep.
Last night was a very different reaction. The wind sounded like it was ripping the siding off. The rain & hail sounded like they were going to blow in our windows. Immediately I sat up & woke Ryan up. My 1st thought was to get into the living room to check the news to see if a tornado was coming. My 2nd thought was to grab my daughter & get into the laundry room until it blew over. When I told Ryan that I was scared & wanted him to go into the living room with me, his reaction was, "Ok, let me go to the bathroom first." He obviously didn't see the urgency in the situation that I did!! Once he was ready to go with me, I opened the door & realized that we couldn't check the news with the power out!!
After sensing Ryan's calmness about the situation & not wanting to wake up Sydney who was sleeping through the whole thing, I decided to go back to bed. I did not go back to sleep, but I did sit on the bed. As soon as it came, it was over.
I began listening to a very weird noise. I asked Ryan if he heard the noise. He asked me what it sounded like. After humming the pitch to him, I told him it sounded like the noise you hear when you rub your finger over a crystal glass. He did hear it, which led us out to the balcony. We finally realized that it was the storm siren!! I guess it was on the other side of the city because we could barely hear it. What good it does us in the middle of a storm! If there had really been a tornado, we'd never heard it!
Once the alarm at the movie theater stopped & our power came back on, I drifted back to sleep. Even more amazing than my immediate fight or flight response was the fact that my daughter (who does not sleep well at night) slept through the whole thing!! We put her down at 9:30 last night & she woke up at 8 AM!! Crazy!
No comments:
Post a Comment